Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Hamburg!


So!  I have been in Hamburg for two weeks and I am starting to settle in to the life here.  One of the first things I did with Tine was go to the Hofbrau Haus.  The Hofbrau Haus is better known as a Bavarian institution, but there is a Hofbrau Haus in most large German cities.  Hamburg actually has two.  My wife is northern German and cannot understand why I like the Bavarian style so much.  I call the Hofbrau Haus the German Embassy just to make her mad.
Ziguenerschnitzel, pommes frites, and a mass beer at the Hofbrau Haus
Those that know me know that I am an ardent Freemason.  I needed to find a lodge to attend for the next five months and I did!  In the middle of Hamburg there is not only a lodge, but an English speaking lodge to boot.  We went in and met a couple of the brothers.  I was warmly welcomed and this will be a big part of my time here.
My lodge in Hamburg
The Logenhaus Restaurant
Looking for photographs to add to my "Gone, But not Forgotten" project I spent a day in the Ohlsdorfer Friedhof.  The Ohlsdorfer Friedhof is the second largest cemetery in the world that is not a National Cemetery. 
Graves of World War II soldiers

A soldier's tomb
The Islamic section of the cemetery
Mostly the frau and I have just spent this time just settling in and meeting with family that we have not seen in more than a year.  It has been nice to be in one place and just do things like shopping in the market and walking in the town.
The frau shopping in Norderstedt at our weekly farmer's market
This weekend we are planning on traveling to Stralsund and Rostok.  Both are cities in the former East Germany.  It has been years since I have been there and I am looking forward to seeing the progress that has been made.

No comments:

Post a Comment