Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Lubeck, Germany

Hauptbahnhof in Lubeck

Last Sunday, October 6, the Frau and I made a day trip to Lubeck.  Lubeck is one of the old "Hansa" cities and you can see this everywhere.  A short walk from the central train station is the Hansa Tor or the (once) main gate in to the city.  I was here about forty years ago with the Frau when we were young and newly engaged.
The Hanse Tor
The Frau
From there we went into the main part of town and discovered the annual Kartoffeltage (Potato Festival) was going on.  We had lunch at the festival and then continued to explore the city.
Kartoffel Fest
Grilling wurst at the Kartoffel Fest

We then strolled through the town just watching the Northern Germans enjoy the unusually fine weather.  Sitting in outside cafes the first weekend in October is a rarity!
Outdoor cafes
Lubeck is known for Marzipan.  This is a candy that is made from almond paste and is absolutely one of my favorite candies.  I simply cannot resist it!  Niederegger is the best know of Lubecker Marzipan and, of course, I had to stop by and see the shop.  I was very proud of myself for not buying any.  I will eat enough of this come Christmas!
Niederegger Marzipan
As is always the case with the Frau, when we come upon one of the magnificent, centuries old churches, we have to go in.  I really don't mind since these often provide fantastic photo possibilities.
Marienkirche
Marienkirche
Marienkirche
We really spent most of the day just wandering and seeing history at every turn.  We finished our visit by walking along the river and seeing some interesting fishing boats on our way back to the train station.
Fishing boats along the river
Later this week the Frau and I are headed to Berlin for eight days.  Our hotel there claims to provide Wi-fi service, but so far my experience has been that it was easier to get Wi-fi in Mexico than it is here!  Check back in a few days to see if anything is posted.  Of course, my Facebook friends and Twitter followers will be notified of all new posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment