Sunday, April 19, 2015

Clarksdale and Longview

Each year in March I try to get back to Texas for my Dad and Sister's birthdays.  This year I decided to make a stop in Clarksdale, MS to see Po' Monkey's juke joint in Marigold, MS.  Po' Monkey's is in a corn field in the middle of no where.  These days it is only open on Thursday nights and as luck would have it I was in Clarksdale on a Thursday night.

Poor Monkey's in Marigold, MS

Very tasteful decorating

The next day I drove to Texas to visit my family.  On Saturday we went to one of my favorite steak houses in Texas.  The 5D Cattle Company in Avinger, TX.  I ordered the 20 oz. T-bone.

My 20 oz. T-bone at 5D
The next day I spent shopping for food items I cannot get in North Carolina.  BBQ sauce, Whataburger Ketchup and Crazy Water from Mineral Wells.

Real BBQ sauce by Bodacious

Survival items need for a Texas Ex-Pat
The Blue Bell ice cream shown in the photo above did not make it to North Carolina!

On Monday we went to Jefferson, TX where I was introduced to the kornbread sandwich.  It was delicious!  I have since made them at home.

Kitt's - Home of the Kornbread Sandwich

We also drove by the dam at Lake o' the Pines.  It had been raining quite a bit and the spillway was flowing at the highest rate I have ever seen.

The spillway at Lake O' the Pines
Fishermen along the spillway
The next day I had to leave for the two day trip back to North Carolina.  The trip home was uneventful since I was just blasting back via the Interstate.

More trips are planned in the near future so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment