Tuesday, August 20, 2013

A Week in Texas

Since my ship, the Rickmers Hamburg, was delayed and the house sitter was arriving I decided to spend a week with my family in Longview, Texas.  My sister and her husband were in Sand Diego visiting my son and his family so I got to spend quite a bit of time with my father.

My father's back yard
We spent a lot of time doing what it is we do when I am in Texas, eating.  A lot of the foods I enjoy in Texas just aren't available in North Carolina:  Whataburgers, catfish, Pittsburg hot links, real chicken fried steak, and Barbecue.

The Pittsburg Hot Link Restaurant in Pittsburg, TX



Pittsburg Hot Links



Chicken Fried Steak

Catfish Dinner

One day we drove to Shreveport, LA to eat Mexican food at the Superior Grill.  It is very unusual for Texans to drive to Louisiana for Mexican food.  I have to admit it was worth it.



Cheese Enchilada Combination at Superior Grill in Shreveport, LA
Margarita to go!  Only in Louisiana!
We spent one day on Caddo Lake and took a paddle wheeled steamer for a trip up the river.  It was on this lake and river that Howard Hughes developed the rotary drill bit that allows us to do deep drilling for petroleum.

Graceful Ghost on Caddo Lake



Caddo Lake

 On Friday my time in Texas was over and it was time to make my way to Philadelphia to meet my ship.  To get to Philadelphia I would take Amtrak.  To get to Philadelphia I would have to go through Chicago and them back over to Philadelphia.  Check back tomorrow when I will write all about my Amtrak experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment