Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Final Preparations for Europe

It is really getting down to the wire.  In just a couple of days I will begin a six month trip that involves planes, trains, Greyhound buses, taxis and freighters.  Last Friday I took my wife to the airport and she is already enjoying the unusually beautiful weather there.  I am waiting on the house sitter and have enough time to worry about a million and one things that will never happen.

Here are my plans so far.  First I will travel by Greyhound bus from my home in Asheville, NC to my boyhood home of Longview, Texas.  Roughly 24 hours on a bus.  Greyhound is probably better than the "Chicken Buses" in Central America, but not much.

Greyhound Bus Lines
After spending a week with my Texas family I will travel via Amtrak to Philadelphia.  The last time I rode a train in the United States was after kindergarten graduation in the early 1960's.  The trip will take two days and travels from Longview to Chicago to Philadelphia.

Amtrak
I will (probably) arrive in Philadelphia a day or two before the ship leaves.  I will be aboard the Rickmers Hamburg
The Rickmers Hamburg
I will be on this ship for about 19 days.  There will be no internet access while on board so I will have plenty of time to read and write.  The ship will port twice before arriving in Hamburg.  She will port in Montoir, France and Antwerp, Belgium.  I will be transmitting my position via satellite transmitter to my family in Texas, California, Japan and Germany.  It is the only contact I will have them during the three week voyage.  Hopefully my wife will be at the dock when my ship arrives in Hamburg.  If she is not I have no way to contact her and I will just have to wait till we bump into each other in a city of about four million people!

My access to the Interwebs will be sporadic so be sure to check back often.  Of course, my "friends" on Facebook will be notified each new post.

No comments:

Post a Comment